Monday, January 17, 2005

Google organizes your past - Picasa

And a little more publicity for Google...

I have always liked Google. Their search engine was great, I like their motto "don't do evil" (though I'm not sure how much they will succeed with it now that they have become a multi-billion enterprise with shareholders) and their focus of organizing the world information is something which is pretty much essential to my life... That is because I like to keep everything. That's another reason I'm writing a blog: to journal my reflections. I'm somewhat a memory freak. The memory freak is because logging my life makes it seems more useful. I can learn more from it if I can come back to the past; and each moment seems more important if they can't be forgotten. But well, that's another story.

The inspiration for this entry is another useful tool that I discovered today under the Google family: Picasa, an image organizer. According to it, I have 10,000 images on my hard drive. It's good to be able to browse them cleanly and at light speed as Picasa enables you to (in chronological order, for example). I had some kind of folder hiearchical order for my pictures, sorted by month. But I was still not able to find back some picture that I had taken two years ago, mainly because I didn't remember during which exact month I had taken it... Since Picasa can show all the pictures together, it was quite easier to browse through the thumbnails with it, and I found back the picture I was looking for in a few minutes. And Picasa is 10x faster than the utility which came with my digital camera (Canon ZoomBrowser EX) and that I was using before for caption and stuff...

So another kudos for Google. I'm sure there are other similar tools somewhere on the web which does the same thing even better, but for now, Picasa is a nice discovery for me. And now that I have a 1Gb card for my digital camera, the pictures are accumulating even faster... So it's a good thing that I found this thingie.

No comments: